A regular roof inspection can help you identify problems early on—before they become a more significant and costly repair, and help you extend your roof’s lifespan. But you have to know what to look for. Here are the warning signs of roof damage to be aware of:
8 Warning Signs of Roof Damage
- Missed, cracked or curling shingles. These can allow water to seep through and cause leaks.
- Discoloration or stains on the ceilings or walls. Any discoloration can be an indication of water damage and a roof leak. Without remediation, a leak can create a moist environment conducive to mold and mildew growth.
- Debris or granules in gutters. An excessive amount of debris or granules, with an older roof, could be a sign the roof is deteriorating.
- Sagging or drooping roof. This can indicate structural damage beneath the roofing material, or be a result of excess weight from heavy snow, ice or debris.
- Light shining through. If you can see light through the roof, it’s a clear sign that there is a hole or gap in the roofing material.
- Attic leaks, moisture, or dripping water. This points to a leak or hole in your roof.
- Peeling paint or damaged wallpaper. Water from a roof leak can seep behind walls, creating excess moisture that can cause paint or wallpaper to peel away from the wall.
- Increased energy bills. If you notice a sudden increase in your energy bills, it could be a sign that the roof is allowing air to escape, or that the attic insulation has been damaged by water leaks.
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have your roof inspected by a roofing professional as soon as possible in order to prevent further damage.
Related: 15 Silent Signs You Have a Damaged Roof
Common Causes for Roof Damage
There are a number of reasons that your roof can become damaged, including:
- Age. Over time, exposure to the elements, and regular wear and tear, can cause a roof to deteriorate. Roofing materials aren’t meant to last forever.
- Weather. Extreme weather conditions, like heavy rain, snow, wind and hail can damage a roof, especially if it is older or in poor condition.
- Improper installation. If your roof has not been installed correctly, it may have leaks or gaps.
- Lack of maintenance. Regular maintenance, including cleaning the gutters and checking for damage, is essential to ensuring your roof remains in good condition.
- Fallen debris. Trees, branches and other debris can land on your roof during storms.
- Foot traffic. Walking on a roof can cause damage, particularly if the weight is concentrated in one area.
- Animals. Squirrels, raccoons and birds can causes roof damage, particularly if they are trying to gain access to the attic.
It is recommended that you inspect your own roof at least once a year, preferable in the fall or spring. Additionally, it is a good idea to inspect for roof damage after any significant weather events, such as heavy rain, snow or windstorms.
How Can My Home Watch Professional Help Protect My Roof?
Although a Home Watch professional is not typically a licensed roof inspector, a Home Watch representative typically inspects a roof by visually examining it from the ground during a routine visit or special visit following a storm or event. They may also use binoculars or a drone if further investigation is indicated. The inspection usually includes the following steps:
- Exterior inspection to look for visible signs of damage such as missing, cracked or curled shingles, loose flashing or damaged vent pipes.
- Check for debris such as leaves, branches or other items that can damage the roof or cause water to pool.
- Gutter inspection to ensure they are clear of debris, attached securely to the home and functioning properly.
- Interior inspection to spot visible signs of damage or leaks on the home’s interior.
- Documentation of any findings, including photos, videos where applicable, and a detailed report.
Golden Rule Home Watch & Concierge Watches Your Northern Virginia Home While You’re Away
You won’t be able to notice roof damage if you are out of town. But your Home Watch professional can. We’ll not only inspect your roof, we’ll care for your entire property as if it were our own, and we can offer additional Home Watch services like Car Watch, Key Watch and specialty Concierge services.
When you’re planning on being away from your Northern Virginia home for an extended period, contact Golden Rule Home Watch & Concierge at 855-928-2424 or complete our online Contact Form to schedule your free consultation.