Your HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems form the backbone of a well-functioning home to ensure its comfort, safety and longevity. Neglecting these systems can lead to a cascade of issues, from compromised efficiency and increased utility costs to potential safety hazards and costly repairs. In this post, we’ll look at how to perform regular checks of your home’s systems—or have a professional Home Watch service do it if you are away for an extended period.
What to Monitor in your Home’s Systems, and How to Protect Them
- Inspect for visible leaks, strange noises or unusual odors, or wear and tear on the components
- Check and replacing air filters regularly
- Monitor and adjust thermostat settings based on occupancy and preferences, or use a programmable thermostat
- Keep an eye on energy bills for any sudden increases in energy costs
- Schedule professional inspections at least twice a year
- Regularly inspect exposed pipes, joints and faucets for leaks, corrosion or rust, or unusual sounds
- Monitor the water meter for unusual fluctuations when no water is in use
- Ensure that water drains quickly and efficiently from sinks, showers and tubs
- Check water pressure periodically
- Insulate pipes in colder climates to prevent freezing in winter months
- Invest in a water softener if you live in an area with hard water
- Inspect the electrical panel for signs of damage or overheating, and check for exposed or frayed wires, loose connections or burn marks
- Test outlets, and consult an electrician if you notice sparks, unusual sounds or burnt odors
- Regularly check and reset circuit breakers if necessary. Frequent tripping may indicate overloaded circuits or faulty wiring.
- Upgrade the electrical panel if it is outdated or insufficient for your needs
- Ensure compliance with local building codes
- Install surge protectors to safeguard sensitive electronic devices from power surges and fluctuations
- Know where the shut-off valves are located for your plumbing and electrical systems, as well as the main switch for your HFAC system.
- Educate yourself on the typical lifespan of your systems’ components so you can plan and budget for necessary replacements or upgrades
- Consider integrating smart home technology for remote monitoring, including smart thermostats, leak detectors and energy monitoring devices
How a Home Watch Service Checks Your Home’s HVAC, Plumbing and Electrical Systems
When you go away from home, a professional Home Watch service is your comprehensive solution for monitoring and safeguarding your home, including its HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems. This is done through a structured and regular inspection regiment conducted by trained professionals. Consistent monitoring allows for the early detection of issues that could compromise the performance of your systems.
Your Home Watch professional will check:
HVAC: visual inspections of heating, ventilation and air conditioning units to assess the overall condition, and check for signs of wear and tear, leaks or unusual noises. They will also verify that thermostat settings align with homeowner preferences, and programmable thermostats are operating optimally.
Plumbing: inspections of visual components such as exposed pipes joints, and faucets for leaks or signs of corrosion; water meters for unusual fluctuations; and drainage and water pressure assessments to prevent clogs or inadequate flow. Toilets are flushed to ensure continual water flow.
Electrical: visual inspection of electrical panels for signs of damage or overheating; checks for loose connections, exposed wires or potential hazards; and monitoring outlets.
Use Golden Rule Home Watch in Northern Virginia
Golden Rule Home Watch & Concierge offers a comprehensive solution for Northern Virginia homeowners to safeguard your home by performing scheduled checks of your systems. Our experienced team is trained in the optimal operation of these systems and what to look for that could indicate potential or existing problems.
Our proactive approach extends to providing you with insights and recommendations for preventive measures, maintenance issues or repairs, if we detect any. By entrusting Golden Rule with your systems, you can enjoy peace of mind while you’re away, knowing your home is in capable hands.
In addition, Home Watch provides an extra layer of security for your home. The presence of professionals can deter potential threats such as break-ins, vandalism or unauthorized access. In addition, we can provide concierge services ranging from collecting or forwarding mail and packages to watering plants. We can even help prepare your home for your return.
Your home is an investment that deserves your diligent care and attention. Through regular checks, you affirm your commitment to its continued safety, efficiency and lasting comfort for years to come.
Trust Golden Rule Home Watch & Concierge. Contact us today at 855-928-2424 to learn more about our Home Watch services.